Friday, November 14, 2008

How to Save Your Retirement

(Money Magazine) -- Without a doubt, the past few months have ranked as the most tumultuous - and scariest - times that I've seen in the more than 20 years I've been at Money magazine. We've witnessed events that up to now had been almost unimaginable: the stock market fluctuating wildly and governments around the globe taking extraordinary steps to unlock frozen credit markets. And it's still unclear when the economy and the markets will hit bottom.
Given the unprecedented level of fear and uncertainty, it's no surprise that readers of my Long View column in Money and my Ask the Expert column on CNNMoney.com have inundated me with retirement planning questions. These five common ones cover your biggest concerns.
Should I put less money into my 401(k)?
Q. I am contributing 15% of my salary to my 401(k). With the crisis taking a toll on the stock market, would it be a good idea to reduce my contribution to 10% and place the additional 5% somewhere else? --Verona, Savannah, Ga.
A. I can understand why you're tempted to scale back. But reducing your 401(k) contributions now would be a mistake. Click here to view the rest of the article.

No comments: